The holidays are coming. You might have a bit of time off to recharge your batteries and refresh yourself after a year of work. What will you do? May I suggest coloring?
To start at the beginning…
I periodically look for interviews with successful authors on the Internet. I feel inspired by their stories and I always have something to learn. Always.
Sometimes I am very surprised by the field in which an author finds success. I would have never guessed that there is a market for that sort of thing.
One such example is Johanna Basford. She is an artist who, back in 2012 or so, came up with the idea of publishing an adult coloring book. Her publisher was skeptical but willing to try.
Much to everybody’s surprise, the book became a huge success and sparked a revolution in not only the publishing business, but also the way adults relax: with colored pencils, coloring within the lines, just like they did when they were children.
There are now thousands of coloring books for adults.
I must confess I haven’t caught the bug. I just don’t have the patience for it. I still prefer a walk in nature or a massage in order to relax. But many of my friends have taken to it like fish to sweet water. And I’m seriously considering it.
The books are gorgeous. Even without color, the drawings are exquisite. Just laying eyes on them makes you feel good. You inhale beauty.
One of these days I might just try it. For me, it also has the added bonus that I will forever associate these books with someone who stuck to their dream and did not take no for an answer.
Here is a list of 10 best-selling coloring books for adults on Amazon.com:
1.Secret Garden: An Inky Treasure Hunt and Coloring Book by Johanna Basford
This was Johanna’s first published book. It came out in 2013 and is the most sold coloring book on Amazon. It is in their top 10 books in the whole store!
2. Enchanted Forest: An Inky Quest & Coloring Book by Johanna Basford
The runner up is also signed by Johanna Basford. She is insanely talented and her drawings are amazing. No wonder she is so successful!
3. Creative Haven Creative Cats Coloring Book (Creative Haven Coloring Books) by Marjorie Sarnat
Our friends the cats are a very strong presence. These beautiful felines wear clothes and patterns that are so harmonious and pleasing to the eye that you will want to frame your best drawings. This book is at number fourteen in “Books” on Amazon.
4. Balance (Angie’s Extreme Stress Menders Volume 1) by Angie Grace
This book’s title suggests it is for people who feel very stressed. Extremely so, in fact. The drawings are very intricate and applying color here requires a level of attention to detail that will certainly drive anything else out of your mind. Isn’t that the definition of meditation?
5. Dover Creative Haven Art Nouveau Animal Designs Coloring Book (Creative Haven Coloring Books) by Marty Noble
Art Nouveau designs and drawings seem to be very popular too. Especially when combined with animal themes.
6. Adult Coloring Book: Stress Relieving Animal Designs by Blue Star Coloring
At nr. 5 in “Books”, these stress relieving animals beam brightly.
7. Unicorns Are Jerks: a coloring book exposing the cold, hard, sparkly truth by Theo Nicole Lorenz
This one looks particularly appealing to me because it seems really funny. Unicorns? Jerks? This already makes me smile.
8. Adult Coloring Books: A Coloring Book for Adults Featuring Mandalas and Henna Inspired Flowers, Animals, and Paisley Patterns by Adult Coloring Books
I love mandalas and Henna flowers. I find them very soothing.
9. Lost Ocean: An Inky Adventure and Coloring Book by Johanna Basford
Johanna is making another appearance. It’s no wonder. This book swallows you up in an ocean adventure.
10. The Calm Coloring Book (Chartwell Coloring Books) by Patience Coster
This is my personal favorite. If I had to pick just one book, I’d pick this one. With its nature patterns and gentle themes, I’m sure it would put me in a great, calm, quietly happy mood.